The Tuesday club is starting to restore the DO-5 fuselage

Sunnuntai 11.9.2022 - Tuesday Club member


Aviation Museum Society Finland owns a DC-3 (C-47) DO-5 fuselage with elevators and rudder. The wings are still lacking. The fuselage of the DO-5 came to the possession of the Aviation Museum Society in 2018, otherwise the fuselage would have ended in the scrap yard. The ex- Air Force DO-5 last served as a ground training device with the parachute jumping school at Utti. The DO-5 fuselage owned by Aviation Museum Society has already been used as prop in two movies.


The intention of Aviation Museum Society is to refurbish the DO-5 fuselage so that it could be presented in different outdoor occasions. It would then be possible to get acquainted to the interior of the aircraft. The passenger cabin of the fuselage will be preserved in its existing parachuter training appearance with the canvas benches along the walls. The fuselage will be available to film makers’ needs in the future, too.



The fuselage refurbishment of DO-5 is beginning at the Aviation Museum Society’s Tuesday Club. This is why the fuselage is on the yard of the Finnish Aviation Museum. Well, it will not be ready tomorrow by far, for the club members have their work cut out for them with the refurbishment of the fuselage. But, maybe by the end of spring 2023 the work will be so much advanced, that we could dare to take the fuselage on display at the National Air Show at Turku. Well, time will show.





The beginning of the autumn season for the Tuesday Club has been spent on preparations for the DO-5 fuselage refurbishment. One of the tasks will be the removal of the vertical stabilizer, rudder, elevators, the rear cone, nose cone and other parts of the aircraft that were stored in the cabin, to a storage container which was brought to the vicinity of DO-5. The horizontal stabilizer, which was stored under the fuselage, was also moved into the container.

The parts that had been in the cabin had to be taken away, because they filled the fuselage so that moving in there was difficult, dangerous even, not to mention working in the cabin during the restoration process.




In the restoration of the fuselage, we will concentrate at first on the cockpit. There we’ll have to, amongst other things, to seal the windows and possibly replace them partly with new ones, to detach the pilots’ seats for refurbishment, to clean the cockpit surfaces and remaining equipment and to paint the wall surfaces.

Also the renewal of the totally opaque cabin windows is on the work list. That would be familiar to the club members, because in 2015 we renewed the cabin windows of the DC-3, OH-LCD, which at the moment is a glorious landmark at the yard of the Finnish Aviation Museum.


We have already accomplished something in the field of restoring, when the legendary DC-3 mechanic Pauli “ Speedy” Fallström replaced the broken tail wheel with a new one.

Photos: Lassi Karivalo

Translation: Matti Liuskallio

Kommentoi kirjoitusta. Avainsanat: aviation history, restoration, Tuesday Club, DO-5;DC-3, C-47, Dakota

The autumn season for the Tuesday Club kicked off

Sunnuntai 4.9.2022 - Tuesday Club member


The Tuesday club summer break ended on August 30th,2022, when club members gathered at the Finnish Aviation Museum to continue the projects left from the spring and begin a few new ones. The restoration of VL Myrsky II (MY-14) went on through the summer apart from a few weeks’ break.


The Caudron C.59 conservation goes forward amongst other things with getting the fabric covering of the lower wings ready and repairing the leading edge damage, covering the bare horizontal stabilizer and one of the elevators, and the refurbishment the 1920s aircraft wheels, which were obtained from the Air Force Museum. The Caudron’s fuselage, which had been under refurbishment at the Tuesday Club was returned to the Päijänne-Tavastia Aviation Museum at Vesivehmaa on August 30th to wait for a time when the conservation of the badly crackled paintwork of the fuselage can be fully attended to.


When the MiG-21BIS (MG-111) was dismantled on the yard of the Finnish Aviation Museum to be scrapped, Aviation Museum Society salvaged the cut-off cockpit part of the fuselage to be built as a MiG-21 simulator. The task of the Tuesday Club is to dismantle the gadgets and equipment outside the cockpit to make space for the simulator hardware. We started this work already at the end of the spring, and now we will continue to prepare the part of the fuselage with the MG-111 cockpit to be made into a simulator.



In 2018 Aviation Museum Society salvaged from being scrapped the fuselage of DO-5, an ex- Air Force DC-3 (C-47). The fuselage had last served with the parachute training school at Utti as a ground instruction device. The work of the Tuesday Club is to repair and tidy the cockpit, which is rather dilapidated and lacking equipment, seal the cockpit windows and renew the cabin widows, now opaque.


The Caravelle III (SE-DAF), acquired by Aviation Museum Society from Sweden, arrived on Friday August 19th from Arlanda to Turku and was taken to be refurbished into a harbour hangar in Pansio. At its time, the aircraft will be on display in Finnair colours by the terminal building at Turku Airport. Finnair used Caravelle III aircraft before changing into Super Caravelles.


The aircraft had stood by the side of Arlanda Airport since 1974 and was in a bad shape, as could be expected.  The task for the Tuesday Club is to repair those damaged parts that for their size are suitable to be repaired in the repair shop of the Finnish Aviation Museum. These include, amongst other things, the somewhat damaged leading edge of the right wingtip. We also restored the Caravelle III tow bar, brought to Turku with the Caravelle, which was in a poor condition.


As usual, many other tasks will appear during the autumn season for the Tuesday Club to do, for the benefit of the Aviation Museum as well as the Aviation Museum Society.

Photos: Lassi Karivalo

Translation: Matti Liuskallio.

Kommentoi kirjoitusta. Avainsanat: aviation history, restoration, Tuesday Club

The fitting of Myrsky's NACA-ring bracket formers and brackets for riveting

Tiistai 19.7.2022 - Tuesday Club member


In the restoration of VL Myrsky II the construction of the engine cowling or NACA ring front part, which is demanding, has been under work already for a couple of years. The Myrsky engine cowling consists of the engine covering NACA ring’s solid front and rear parts and the openable engine cowlings between them. This blog deals with the installing of the bracket formers to be riveted to the solid front part of the NACA ring. Later in this blog the solid front part of the NACA ring will be called NACA ring for simplicity.

The Myrsky’s NACA ring has proved to be very difficult to make, and we have not managed to avoid extra work. This was caused by amongst other things the uncovering of the lost Myrsky major series NACA ring drawings at the end of last year. They differ especially in the upper part from the initial series Myrsky’s NACA ring drawings, according to which we have been building the MY-14 NACA ring.

The difference between the drawings was, that in the major series NACA ring the diameter of the upper part of the ring is larger than that of the initial series. Because of this, the NACA ring that we had built had to have its upper part diameter increased, so that it would correspond to the shape of the major series shape of MY-14. The enlargement was possible by forging the upper part of the aluminium ring to the measurements of the major series.
To facilitate the change, we had to dismantle the ten NACA ring bracket formers or cantilever consoles that had already been positioned. The NACA ring is fastened from these bracket formers to the eyes in the valve housing of the engine. The dismantled bracket formers were taken to be chromed, so that their surface got a glossy gold hue.

There are 14 bracket formers in the NACA ring altogether. Of those, ten are situated in the part of the NACA ring, which equates the rotation block. Four bracket formers are situated aside from the rotation block in the expanding upper part of the NACA ring. The opening of the air horn and the flame tubes of the four machine guns are situated in this area.
The ten chromated bracket formers were re-installed. The four bracket formers that are near the air horn and the machine guns’ fame tubes are still in the shaping and fitting stage. Before installing the bracket formers, a bracing ring made of 1 mm steel plate was assembled around the NACA ring. This is to ensure that the NACA ring holds its precise form when the bracket formers are installed to the NACA ring.



At the same time a jig was made out of a steel plate, to assist in focusing the bracket formers to their places. With the aid of a set up jig, which was made out of steel plates and locked in the “central hub” of the assembly table, two bracket formers can be positioned into place. After that the jig is moved forward to position and install the next bracket formers. The positioned bracket formers were fastened to the NACA ring with a couple of small bolts. The final fastening will be done by riveting.



When the chromated 10 bracket formers had been installed, the actual brackets were installed at their tips, with which the NACA ring is locked with connection pieces to the eyes of the valve housing of the engine. The bracket on the former is a prong-like piece, bent from 1 mm steel plate, which has a welded socket for the fastening bolt at the end.
To position the bracket to the end of each former, a two-branch steel tube jig was used, which was locked to “the central hub” of the assembly table. With the aid of the jig, the exact position of the bracket and its angle at the end of each former can be determined. The brackets were fastened tentatively with small bolts. The final fastening will be done by riveting.



The brackets are installed at the end of the formers at an angle of 7.5 degrees. So they will meet the valve housing eyes to fasten the NACA ring to the engine. The brackets of the formers and the eyes of the valve housing are locked to each other with connecting pieces. The connecting pieces are fastened with bolts to sockets at the end of the former and with two bolts to the holes of the eyes in the valve housing.




When all ten chromated bracket formers with their brackets had been installed in place, the shaping work of the four bracket formers and their brackets to be installed on the upper part of the NACA ring was started. The bracket formers by the outer flame tubes are distinctly shaped more open-angled, compared with the other V-shaped bracket formers, to enable the flame tubes inside them. The bracket formers that are fixed on either side of the air horn differ from the other bracket formers in shape. In a way they are only half-sized compared with the other V-shaped formers.






First the open-angled bracket formers at the flame tubes were shaped to be installed. They were fastened tentatively in place with the aid of a jig, made especially for these two brackets. After this the shaping of the prongs, attached at the end of the bracket formers with sockets, so that they could be shaped into the form of more open bracket formers. The position of these brackets differs from the other bracket formers so that the bracket is right at the top of the bracket former. The installing of the bracket formers of the NACA ring upper part are still under work.

Photos: Lassi Karivalo

Translation: Matti Liuskallio.

Kommentoi kirjoitusta. Avainsanat: aviation history, restoration, Tuesday Club, MY-14, VL Myrsky

The Myrsky elevators? priming

Keskiviikko 6.7.2022 - Tuesday Club member


The VL Myrsky II (MY-14) elevators’ coating, which had started in April was finished at the beginning of May. As coating fabric, a 165 g/m2 linen fabric was used.



After the elevators were finished, the fabric was tightened to resemble a drum top with NC-SPEED nitro cellulose varnish. The varnish was dyed red with iron oxide. The tightening of the fabric was done phase by phase. It began with 50% thinned varnish. Thinner 8 was used for the purpose. From that we continued through 75% varnish to a full 100% varnish. Unthinned varnish was applied twice to the fabric cover of the elevators.After the elevators were finished, the fabric was tightened to resemble a drum top with NC-SPEED nitro cellulose varnish. The varnish was dyed red with iron oxide. The tightening of the fabric was done phase by phase. It began with 50% thinned varnish. Thinner 8 was used for the purpose. From that we continued through 75% varnish to a full 100% varnish. Unthinned varnish was applied twice to the fabric cover of the elevators.



Between the times of doping, the fabric surfaces were sanded smooth. After every application of varnish, the fabric tightened more. After four layers of varnish the fabric of the elevators had tightened to the wanted drum top level.



After tightening of the covering fabric, it was time to prime the elevators. TEKNOS  Futura3 primer was chosen, and Teknosolv 1621 white spirit as thinner.


The priming was done by spraying, using the Futura 3 which was thinned to 75%. Before spraying, the openings in the elevators were covered to prevent the paint to get inside the elevators.


After spraying, the surfaces were sanded manually. At the same time, it was noticed that there was a slight depression on the trailing edge side of the elevator, along the whole length of it. Filler was applied to this area. After the filler had dried, the area was sanded to the form of the curvature of the elevator profile.



The second layer of the primer was also done with 75%  Futura 3 primer. After spraying the surfaces of the fabric were sanded smooth. Special care was taken to the serrated edges of the protective strips on the sewn seams, so that the serrated edges could be sanded, so that they no longer feel like uneven spots on the surface of the fabric.


The elevators of the Myrsky have now been primed twice. We are debating that a possible third layer of primer could be sprayed on the surface of the elevators.

Photos: Lassi Karivalo

Translation: Matti Liusvaara.

Kommentoi kirjoitusta. Avainsanat: aviation history, restoration, Tuesday Club, MY-14, VL Myrsky

Super Caravelle tow bar restoration completed

Torstai 12.5.2022 - Tuesday Club member

Owned by the Aviation Museum Society and badly rusted, the Super Caravelle towbar was taken in the Tuesday Club for restoration six months ago. For the restoration the bar was dismantled. By March the parts had been cleaned of rust, so the surface treatment of the tow bar, that’s to say painting, could be started.


The towbar is to be painted in original colours of the Finnair era. The main colour has been “Finnair Blue”, but the ends have been painted with yellow high visibility colour. The original hues could be determined by a firm called “Pintaväri” from the paint residue still to be seen on the surface of the steel. The blue was found to be NCS S 6030 B and the yellow RAL 1023. For the paint, Tikkurila Oy manufactured Unica Outdoor furniture paint, was chosen. As the primer, a translucent Isotrol-lacquer was chosen, as it protects the parts from rusting.



Before the surfaces were treated with the primer, they were wiped with Sinol-water solution. After this, the parts of the tow bar received as a primer the translucent Isotrol. After the Isotrol had dried, the surfaces were lightly sanded, vacuum cleaned and wiped again with Sinol-water solution.



First the ends of the tow bar were painted yellow. The length of the high visibility area at the loop end of the tow bar has been 50 cm, and at the connector end 73 cm. The area to be painted was bordered with painter’s tape. The loop headed towing bar was also painted yellow and the nose gear connector at the other end likewise.



When painting with the yellow, it was noticed that the yellow paint covers insufficiently, especially when painted on the dark steel surface which has been painted with translucent Isotrol lacquer. The yellow had to be applied up to five layers, before the result was satisfactory. The inability to cover is an annoying feature of yellow paint. The yellow paint would have covered better, if we’d had the good sense to use light grey Isotrol to prime these parts. On the other hand, when we started to paint the parts of the bar with blue Unica paint, we noticed that the paint had an excellent cover from the first layer on. The covering abilities with the same paint differ greatly depending on the difference of the pigment.



When all the parts of the towing bar had received a new coat of paint, the assembly of the towing bar started. First the wheels were connected to the axle, after which the support arms of the wheels were fixed from the lower ends to the flanges in the wheel axles. The wheels were fastened from their support arms to the two broad flanges.  At the same time with assembling the wheels, handlebars were screwed to both ends of the tow bar, to lift or move the tow bar by hand.



Now we were ready to attach the halves of the 4,7 m long bar to each other. They were locked into each other with a collar tightened around the attachment point. At the same time the upper ends of the support arms of the wheels were fastened to the collars on the tow bar.



The camber and caster angles of the wheel support arms were adjusted to make the wheels go straight. A connecting piece was fastened to the aircraft end of the tow bar, from which the bar was connected to the nose gear with a pin. Finally the bolt and nut ends of the support arms of the wheels were painted blue.



The rust covered towbar of the Super Caravelle had been restored in the Tuesday Club to its original livery. The change compared to the rust covered one was remarkable. The towbar will still get an original white Super Caravelle-like logo on its side. Somehow, it’s fitting to this time, that the towbar is in the Ukrainian colours.

Photos: Lassi Karivalo

Translation: Matti Liuskallio.

Kommentoi kirjoitusta. Avainsanat: aviation history, restoration, Tuesday Club, Caravelle

Other work than restoration

Keskiviikko 6.10.2021 - Tuesday Club member


The Tuesday Club does not only do aircraft restoration projects - the team carries out also other assignments, which are connected to the activities of the Finnish Aviation Museum and the Aviation Museum Society.


During the autumn the dust removing work has been started in the Finnish Aviation Museum’s Hall I and Hall II. A major dusting the museum aircraft surfaces was done about three years ago. Now mainly the surfaces of the aircraft on the museum floor are cleaned, because the dusting of the aircraft hanging from the ceiling requires a lifting platform, which isn’t available at the moment. The surfaces of the aircraft in Hall I are already bright and clean for the visitors to admire.


There are some aircraft fuselage frames and rear fuselages stored on the yard of the Aviation Museum. These include the rear fuselages of Bristol Blenheim (BL-180) and Douglas DC-3 (OH-LCA). Of the Blenheims which were in use in Finland, the BL-180 belongs to the series V. The OH-LCA was destroyed in 1963 when it hit the trees when landing on the Maarianhamina airfield. During the years the tarpaulins which have covered the rear fuselages have ripped and decayed and they were renewed. The DC-3 tarpaulin was replaced already earlier this year. The Tuesday Club team helped the museum staff to remove the torn tarpaulin from the BL-180 fuselage and covered it with a new one.



During the summer there is a fenced Children’s World outside the Finnish Aviation Museum. There young visitors can drive around on the pedal aircraft, made by the Tuesday Club, or “fly” in the real Cessna 172 Skyhawk (OH-COO), which was purchased for this purpose. In the autumn the Children’s World was closed and prepared for the winter. The Tuesday Club team helped the museum staff to take down the surrounding fence and to move the Cessna under the wing of the neighbouring DC-3 “Lokki” (OH-LCD) for the winter.



The Tuesday Club team has made aircraft-shaped pot coasters which have been for sale in the Aviation Museum shop as well as in the webshop of the Aviation Museum Society. These popular pot coasters ran out, but more will be made during the autumn.



Photo: Janne Salonen.


Photo: Janne Salonen.

The Aviation Museum Society’s Caravelle-project has now taken a step forward as the airport company Finavia and the Aviation Museum Society have agreed that the Sud Aviation SE 210 Caravelle III, which has been standing in Arlanda in Sweden, will be placed on display at the Turku airport. A taste of Caravelle has already been sent to Turku: the main landing gear of a Super Caravelle. The landing gear is owned by the Aviation Museum Society, and it was cleaned at the Tuesday Club before it was delivered to the Turku airport terminal and placed on display there.

Photos: Lassi Karivalo except if separately otherwise mentioned.

Translation: Erja Reinikainen.

Kommentoi kirjoitusta. Avainsanat: aviation history, restoration, Tuesday Club

Other than restoration activities in Tuesday Club

Maanantai 23.3.2020 - Member of Tuesday Club


The Tuesday Club of the Finnish Aviation Museum Society is mainly connected to restoring and repairing old aircraft and placing them on display in the aviation museums. Mainly this is naturally true, but the Tuesday Club is involved in various other activities which support the functions of the Aviation Museum or the Aviation Museum Society. This blog introduces some examples of these activities.

Legs for large display monitors

The Aviation Museum Society purchased six large display monitors, second-hand but functioning, to be used in different in public events connected to aviation. The bargain didn’t include legs which are needed when the display is standing on a table. Therefore the Tuesday Club team was given the task to make two legs for each display.


The team decided to make T-shaped legs from metal tube. The legs could be installed into the holes in the lower edge of the display and unfastened after use. The team acquired rectangular metal tube with suitable dimensions and cut it into pieces which will be welded together to form the T-shaped leg. For each display two tube pieces were needed for the horizontal legs and two pieces for the vertical supports. A total of two dozen tube pieces were cut for the six displays.


The 12 T-shaped legs were welded in the welding space outside the Finnish Aviation Museum. The welded seams and the ends of the tubes were ground smooth and then painted black. Finally the square tube ends of the legs were plugged using black plastic plugs. Now all six displays had their legs ready and they can be used in the different aviation events.

Extending the guard railing of the stairs

Visitor safety is important for the Finnish Aviation Museum. When inspecting the safety issues, a shortcoming was noticed on the stairs leading to the balcony of the I Hall. The guard railing of the stairs was shorter than the staircase. This may be dangerous for the visitor when the railing suddenly ends and there are still more stairs to walk. The museum decided to build extensions to the railings.


For the  new railings the Tuesday Club team acquired stainless steel tube, which is strong enough and has a glossy polished surface which doesn’t need additional polishing. The tube will be connected to the existing railing tube using a lapped joint.


The lapped joint is made by cutting away the lower part of the tube at a length of about 30 cm. The open curved end of the railing tube can be pressed tightly on the original handrail and fastened with brackets on the vertical balustrade. The joint of the stainless steel tube on the original handrail will be made first on one railing to test how it works. When the joint has reached the desired form and appearance, the other three railing extensions can be made according to the model and using serial production process. The first joint is already in the testing phase.


The extended handrails will naturally need their own vertical balustrades. The balustrades will be made from ordinary steel tube which was cut into four pieces. Fastening plates were welded onto the lower end of each balustrade tube. Fastening brackets for the handrail will be welded to the upper ends of the tubes.


Now the guard railing extension project is at the phase where the joint of the extended handrail and the existing handrail is finalized and the balustrade tubes are made. However, the corona virus pandemic interrupted the Tuesday Club activities at the Aviation Museum and the work will be continued when the pandemic is over.

Paint tests

The Tuesday Club is working on the restoration of the VL Myrsky II (MY-14) fighter and the Caudron C.59 advanced trainer plane and the rotor blades of the SM-1 helicopter (HK-1) are being repaired. Each project is now reaching the painting phase. The exact paint type and colour originally used on the Caudron and the helicopter rotor blades are not known. Also the fabric-covered parts of the Myrsky will require paint tests. The test is not only about paints but also different kinds of cotton and linen fabrics will be tested how they fit the needs. The Tuesday Club team decided to make a dozen wooden frames, covered with fabric, for testing the paints and different kinds of fabrics and for choosing their combination.


Suitable batten material was found in the wood storage of the restoration space and it was cut to measure. The battens were connected to form frames of 50x50 cm. The frames were covered with four different kinds of cotton fabric and a linen fabric. On some frames the fabric was properly sewn, as it would be when covering an airplane with fabric. On other frames the fabric was fastened using a stapler.


When the frames were ready, the fabric was tightened using nitrocellulose varnish. The fabric has to be tightened before the paint tests. The fabric has to be covered with the shrinking dope several times before it is tight enough. The shrinking procedure is started with thinned varnish (50% varnish, 50% thinner) and finished with plain varnish.


The shrinking process was left unfinished when the corona virus pandemic interrupted the Tuesday Club activities. Hopefully the pandemic is soon over and the team can return to their normal routines.

Photos: Lassi Karivalo, translation: Erja Reinikainen.

Kommentoi kirjoitusta. Avainsanat: aviation history, restoring, old aircraft, Tuesday Club

Metal trestles for Junkers 50A Junior and repairing of Junnu's model

Keskiviikko 18.3.2020 - Member of Tuesday Club


The Junkers 50A Junior was on display at the Helsinki-Vantaa airport for many years, but it was returned to the Finnish Aviation Museum about a year ago because of the refurbishment works in the airport terminal. This aircraft is the famous OH-ABB, registered on 6.3.1931 by Väinö Bremer, who flew several long distance flights on this plane. In 1932 one of his flights reached from Finland all the way to Cape Town in South Africa and back.


So far Bremer’s Junkers has been in storage at the Finnish Aviation Museum and hidden from the public. Now the “Junnu” has been placed on display in the II Hall of the museum. At the moment the museum is closed because of the corona virus epidemic, but the plane can be admired later. The plane was moved and assembled by the museum’s hot air balloon volunteers together with the museum staff.


The Junkers is standing in the II Hall on its landing gear wheels with its full weight, so the Tuesday Club team decided to make metal supports under the landing gear wheel axles. This is a normal procedure for aircraft which are on display in aviation museums. When the metal trestles bear the weight of the plane, the tires won’t be damaged when the plane stands on display for many years.


The Tuesday Club team was surprised to find half-finished metal trestles in the corner of the restoration space in the Finnish Aviation Museum. These trestles could be modified to fit the Junkers 50A Junior. The trestles were covered with rust and the surfaces needed to be cleaned. The tube-shaped adjusting spars inside the trestles had to be modified to fit the new purpose. The trestles were sprayed with black varnish paint.



The team took the modified metal trestles to the II Hall in the Finnish Aviation Museum and managed to lift the Junkers so that the trestles could be installed under the wheel supports on both sides.


The Tuesday Club team had also another task concerning Junkers Junior. A model of the Junkers OH-ABB has been on display in the II Hall of the Finnish Aviation Museum. Its skin is made of corrugated cardboard to imitate the real corrugated metal sheet covering of the Junkers. The scale of the model was actually defined by the size of the “waves” of the corrugated cardboard.



The engine of the model had been damaged during the years and it had come loose and also the cylinders and some parts had broken. The Tuesday Club team repaired the engine and fastened it back into place.


The model was taken back into II Hall and placed beside the real Junkers 50A Junior (OH-ABB). Now the model and real aircraft are side by side, on display, with a pilot sitting in the cockpit.

Photos: Lassi Karivalo

Translation: Erja Reinikainen

Kommentoi kirjoitusta. Avainsanat: aviation history, restoring, old aircraft, Tuesday Club, Junkers 50A Junior, OH-ABB

Tuesday Club has started its 31th year with many activities

Maanantai 10.2.2020 - Member of Tuesday Club



In the beginning of the year it is appropriate to summarise the activities of the Tuesday Club in the previous year. In the summer the Tuesday Club team finalized the restoration of the I.V.L. K.1. Kurki aircraft, after three years of work. The Kurki was assembled and placed on display at the Päijänne-Tavastia Aviation Museum in Vesivehmaa. As the Kurki-project had come to an end, a new project could be started: Caudron C.59 (CA-59) will be restored for display. The restoration of the VL Myrsky II (MY-14) was started six years ago and the Tuesday Club team worked on it in 2019 as well. The fourth project in the Tuesday Club was to repair the two broken rotor blades of the SM-1 helicopter. Also some additional minor tasks were given to the Tuesday Club team and the year was rather loaded with work. Over 7 000 work hours were done during the year. The team has continued with the ongoing tasks in the beginning of this year.

Repairs of Caudron’s fabric-covered wings


The main tasks at the moment in the Caudron C.59 advanced trainer plane restoration project are the repairs of the holes and tears in the fabric covering on the lower wings. This is not a minor project, because there were 66 holes to mend on the lower port wing and about 50 on the starboard wing. It is very sad to see how badly the Caudron’s wings have been treated during the 90 years of storage.



The holes and tears on the lower port wing have already been repaired. The edges of the tears were connected with stitches and a fabric patch was glued on the sewn area. Nitrocellulose varnish was used for gluing the patches and it smoothed the repaired fabric when shrinking. Historical values have to be considered when the holes on Caudron’s wings are repaired. If the fabric covering of the wing had been damaged with over 50 holes when the aircraft was still in use, the whole wing would have been covered with new fabric. At the moment the Tuesday Club is working on the lower starboard wing. The fabric surfaces were cleaned and then the repairs of the holes could be started. In addition to the work on the wings, the repair of the horizontal stabilizer is going on. The horizontal stabilizer had to be dismantled to repair the damages and now it is being re-assembled.

SM-1 helicopter’s rotor blades were repaired


The repair work on the PZL SM-1SZ (HK-1) helicopter’s rotor blades was started a year ago. Now all the damaged areas have been repaired, i.e. covered with new fabric and treated with shrinking varnish. The damaged areas were located in the fabric-covered areas of the blades. Now the new fabric areas have been smoothed using nitrocellulose varnish and are waiting to be painted. When the original paint type and colours have been defined, the new fabric areas can be painted. The upper surface of the blade will be painted dark green and the lower side will be pale blue.


Myrsky’s restoration work continues for one more year

The aim is to complete the restoration of Myrsky MY-14 in March 2021 when the aircraft will be placed on display. The schedule is tight, but the restoration teams are working hard in the Tuesday Club and in the Finnish Air Force Museum in Tikkakoski.




In the Tuesday Club the main emphasis is on the restoration of the two wing halves. Both wings are under construction in the restoration space at the Finnish Aviation Museum. The leading edge of the starboard wing has been almost covered with new plywood and the trailing edge area on the upper surface will be covered soon. The starboard wing will soon be ready for the surface preparations, which are needed before painting. The work on the port wing is about one month behind the starboard wing. There is still some work needed on the port wing before the flap compartment on the trailing edge is ready, the flap is completed and the leading edge is covered with new plywood.



Photos: Lassi Karivalo

Translation: Erja Reinikainen.

The repairs of the Caudron’s fabric-covered wings

Kommentoi kirjoitusta. Avainsanat: aviation history, restoring, old aircraft, Tuesday Club

Painting shed was built behind Finnish Aviation Museum

Perjantai 11.10.2019 - Member of Tuesday Club


Painting work in the restoration space in the Finnish Aviation Museum is not desirable or healthy because of the paint and lacquer fumes. Painting work is necessary in the restoration work and shrinking dope is used when finishing the fabric covers on the wings. At the moment e.g. the repaired rotor blades of the SM-1/MI-1 (HK-1) helicopter are waiting to be lacquered and painted. Soon also the tail parts of Caudron C.59 (CA-50) will need paint and lacquer.

For these purposes a light painting shed was planned next to the storage container on the museum yard. The shed has walls, but it is not meant to be used in winter. However, with recirculation heaters painting work in the shed will be possible until late autumn. The shed was designed to be 10 meters long, 1,8 m wide and 2,1 m high. The length was determined by the long SM-1 helicopter rotor blades, which will be painted in the shed.

The shed was designed so that the storage container forms one wall for the shed and the other long wall has a wooden frame made of 50x100mm timber. This frame is covered with non-woven fabric and tarpaulin. The roof is built of plywood sheets, placed on wooden roof beams and covered with a tarpaulin as a rain cover. All joints are made using screw plates. One of the principles for the shed was that it should be built, as far as possible, using material which can be found on the museum yard and storage. This is how the construction costs would be low.


The work was started by cleaning the asphalt yard with a pressure washer where the shed will be built. Then a 50x100 mm wooden beam was fastened on the upper edge of the storage container’s wall. This beam will carry the weight of the roof structure. Then horizontal wooden beams were fastened on the asphalt, at a distance of 180 cm from the container wall, covering the length of the container. This will be the bottom of the wooden wall frame. The wall height is 210 cm from the top of the base beam.



The wall frame was built in two parts. Both parts were assembled on the ground and then lifted upright and placed on top of the base beam. Wooden battens were used to support the upper edge of frame from the beam on the container wall. Then the frame was anchored in place on the base beam using angle irons. 



When the wall frame was standing firmly, the wooden roof framework was built from 50x100 mm beams which were fastened on the wall framework and the beam on the container. As the roof is 180 cm wide, two plywood sheets were needed to cover the width, one full sheet (120 cm) and a half sheet (60 cm). Suitable 20 mm thick and 120 cm wide plywood sheets were found at the museum. A part of the sheets was cut in half (60 cm wide). The plywood sheet pairs (full and half) were placed on the roof structure and fastened on the beams and onto the upper edge of the wall structure.


Then the wall frame was covered. A non-woven fabric, which will allow air to flow through, was stapled on the frame. Non-woven fabric was chosen because it is essential to have good ventilation in the painting shed.



The ventilation will be boosted using fans. A tarpaulin was installed on the outside to protect the inner fabric from rain. The tarpaulin was fastened by its upper edge on the upper edge of the wall, otherwise it hangs freely. The tarpaulin can be rolled up and fastened on the upper corner of the wall when the shed is in use. A wooden batten was attached on the lower edge of the tarpaulin to keep it hanging straight and against the non-woven fabric on the inside. The seam between the base beam and asphalt was sealed using Sikaflex so that rain water running along the asphalt will not flow under the beam and into the shed.


A heavy tarpaulin was assembled on top of the plywood roof to keep out the rain. The tarpaulin was lifted to the roof with a fork lift. The back end of the shed was covered with non-woven fabric and a tarpaulin was placed on the outside.


The last phase was to build a door to the front end of the shed. The door was built from two overlapping pieces of tarpaulin. The tarpaulins were fastened on a plank by their upper edge. The plank can be easily unfastened from the upper edge of the doorway when large painting items are brought into the shed and an unblocked doorway is needed.


The museum bought led lights (which were fastened on the upper corner of the wall) and an effective recirculation heater. When the heater was tested a temperature above 20 degrees was reached and the humidity in the shed decreased into readings which are required when painting or lacquering work is done.



The painting shed is now ready for use.

Photos: Lassi Karivalo

Translation: Erja Reinikainen.

Kommentoi kirjoitusta. Avainsanat: aviation history, restoring, old aircraft, Tuesday Club

Tuesday Club goes on summer break - but not quite

Keskiviikko 29.5.2019 - Member of Tuesday Club


The Tuesday Club’s spring season, filled with work, ended on May 28th. The activities will start again on August 13th. The main work items during the spring season have been the restoration of VL Myrsky II (MY-14), the final phases in restoring the I.V.L.K.1 Kurki and returning it to Vesivehmaa and the repair work on helicopter SM-1’s (HK-1) broken rotor blades. The new project, started in late spring, was the restoration work of the training plane Caudron C.59. In addition to the actual restoration projects, the Tuesday Club team has been involved in many other useful activities.


Building Myrsky’s wings was the most demanding of Tuesday Club’s work items this spring. Now the work is at the phase where the covering of the lower side of Myrsky’s starboard wing is on the way. Before that the equipment inside the wing has been installed, the ribs on the trailing edge have been attached on the rear spar and, most importantly, the operation bars for the aileron, spoiler and landing gear have been assembled through the trailing edge ribs. The team is getting ready to assemble the trailing edge ribs on the port wing. Building the wing has involved also making dozens of inspection, maintenance and operation hatches on the wing and making the hatches for the wheel wells. Myrsky’s horizontal and vertical stabilizers have been covered. Bending the aluminum sheets to form the upper part of the engine’s NACA-ring was a demanding task.


The title of this blog lets you know that, in spite of the summer break, the Tuesday Club team is busy in the restoration space of the Finnish Aviation Museum. The Myrsky-project will continue during the summer, maybe with just a short break. The team is aiming to have the Myrsky MY-14 ready by 2021, at the latest.


In May the Tuesday Club’s three years of work on the IVLK1 Kurki came to an end when the restoration work was completed, and the plane was returned to the Päijänne-Tavastia Aviation Museum in Vesivehmaa. The Tuesday Club Team was delighted to see Kurki on display in the museum hall. To fit the whole plane there was a little challenging and a matter of inches, but now it is there for the visitors to see.



Two broken rotor blades of the SM-1/Mil Mi-1 helicopter (HK-1) have been under repair since the beginning of this year. The damages in the blade structures have been repaired. The damaged areas in the fabric covering were dismantled and they have been covered with new fabric. Now the new covering is waiting for the treatment with shrinking dope and painting.



The new work item started in late spring is the restoration and repair work of the damaged Caudron C.59 training plane CA-50, which was used by the Finnish Air Force in the 1920’s. The work will take about three years and all damages will be repaired and the intact surfaces and structures will be conserved. The work was started at the horizontal stabilizer and elevators.


Photo: Juha Veijalainen


In addition to the restoration and repair projects of museum airplanes, the Tuesday Club has also been working on many other things. The Hawk Experience Center was improved by adding six metal cupboards and several hooks for cargo straps. Two passenger airplane cabin service trolleys were fixed to be used at the Experience Center. Six metal shelves were assembled for the Päijänne-Tavastia Aviation Museum, to be used in the storage containers outside the museum.



In addition to all this, the Tuesday Club team built six money collection boxes for the New Aviation Museum fund raising campaign of the Finnish Aviation Museum.

Photos: Lassi Karivalo except if separately otherwise mentioned.

Translation from Finnish to English: Erja Reinikainen.

Kommentoi kirjoitusta. Avainsanat: aviation history, restoring, old aircraft, Tuesday Club

Cockpit part of Valmet Vihuri II on display at Finnish Aviation Museum

Lauantai 12.5.2018 - Member of Tuesday Club


The Finnish Aviation Museum Society’s Tuesday Club project to restore the Valmet Vihuri II (VH-25) front fuselage has taken almost twenty years. Now the restored part with front and rear cockpits is ready and on display in Hall I at the Finnish Aviation Museum.


The restored Vihuri front fuselage is based on the front cockpit and the engine mounting of VH-25 which were found in a scrapyard in Helsinki in the 1970’s and purchased to the Finnish Aviation Museum. The cockpit had some equipment and wind screen and the engine mounting had some fairing plate remaining. The restoration project started in the late 1990’s but was interrupted for a while and started again with full speed in the early 2000’s.

The front fuselage found in the scrapyard had only the front cockpit so the rear cockpit with its pilot’s seat had to be built following the original Vihuri drawings. Cockpit equipment and instruments found in the collections of the Finnish Aviation Museum and the Finnish Air Force Museum have been installed in the cockpits. The Tuesday Club team is grateful for the assistance of both museums for supplying the material. The Tuesday Club team built several new items for the cockpit, including the luggage compartment, map holder and flare gun with its launching tube.

The front fuselage of Valmet Vihuri II with its cockpits and its equipment is now in the Finnish Aviation Museum, on display for the visitors. The only remaining whole Vihuri (VH-18) I s in the Finnish Air Force Museum. However, the front part of VH-25 in the Aviation Museum offers the visitors something that the VH-18 in the Air Force Museum doesn’t.


The restored front fuselage of VH-25 is mainly covered with transparent plexi, not aluminium plate. Therefore the museum visitor can clearly see what equipment and instruments the Vihuri has.


The cockpit and display lighting is on, as well as the lights in the sight. Above the front seat there is a mirror for having a good view of the sight and its light cross.


The cockpit equipment and instruments in Vihuri are interesting because they originate from earlier plane types used in the Finnish Air Force. When the Vihuri’s were originally built, parts were installed from dismantled Air Force planes. For example the stick in the front cockpit of the Vihuri, the magneto selection switch, the red cockpit light and parts of the oxygen supply system (the regulator, the flow and pressure indicators and valve) come from Messerschmitt Bf 109.


The oxygen bottles of Vihuri are probably from Junkers Ju 88. The rudder pedals in the front cockpit are from VL Myrsky.


The instruments in the instrument panel come from several different planes. The manual pump of the pressurized oil system is from Bristol Blenheim. Unfortunately there is no Bristol Mercury motor available in Finland, so the restored VH-25 has no motor. As you can see, recycling of equipment and instruments has been a key issue in the building of Vihuri.


Welcome to the Finnish Aviation Museum to see the front fuselage of Valmet Vihuri II, restored by the Tuesday Club.

Photos: Lassi Karivalo.

Kommentoi kirjoitusta. Avainsanat: aviation history, Tuesday Club, museum aircraft, Valmet Vihuri, VH-25

Cockpit canopy for Gnat model

Torstai 19.4.2018 - Member of Tuesday Club


The Finnish Aviation Museum has donated the models of BEA Hawk, Folland Gnat, Saab Draken and MiG-21BIS to the Aviation Museum Society’s Hawk Experience Center. The large wooden models were found in the storage room of the museum. The models need some repairs which will be completed in the Tuesday Club before the Hawk Experience Center season 2018 begins in May. The repairs of the BAE Systems Hawk Mk.51 model have already been described in an earlier blog.


After the Hawk model the next target was the Folland Gnat F.1 model. This model wasn’t badly damaged but the cockpit canopy was missing. In addition to some minor repairs the canopy had to be made.


To make the new canopy, first a wooden model of the canopy had to be made. The cockpit was emptied by removing the pilot’s seat and the instrument panel. This was necessary in order to be able to fit the wooden canopy model, made of balsa, in its place in the cockpit. At the same time the measurements were taken of the line where the canopy meets the edge of the cockpit: a metal frame will be fitted on the sides and at the rear end of the canopy.


A piece of balsa was carved slowly to match the shape of the canopy and the correct size by fitting it into the cockpit every now and then. Photographs and 3d-drawings of the Gnat were used to define the shape of the canopy. The wooden model began to take shape when it was gradually and carefully carved and buffed out and regularly fitted into the cockpit. Now the model for the canopy was ready.


Photos: Jorma Laakso.

Before making the actual canopy, the metal frame for the edge of the canopy was made. The wooden model was used to dimension the frame. The location of the frame was marked on the model in red lines. The image of the frame was drawn on a 0.3 mm thick brass sheet and cut off. The thin strips of brass sheet were honed to match the shape of the frame on the lower edge and the rear section of the cockpit and fitted on the balsa model. When the metal parts seemed to fit nicely into place they were soldered together. Now the metal frames were ready to be installed on the actual canopy.


Photos: Jorma Laakso.

The windscreen arc in front of the canopy was made of 0.8 mm thick plywood, laminating four layers of plywood on top of each other. The laminated arc was milled and buffed out into shape. Then a windscreen made of transparent plastic sheet was attached, using a friction-type connection.


Photo: Jorma Laakso.

The making of the actual canopy was started, using the balsa model and a mould. A heated plastic sheet is pressed against the opening in the mould, using the balsa model for pressing. The mould was made from 4 mm plywood with an opening matching the shape and dimensions of the outer edges of the cockpit.


Photo: Jorma Laakso.

A piece of 10x10 cm was cut from a 0.5 mm thick GAG-PET sheet. The sheet of plastic was attached by its edges on top the opening in the plywood mould. The sheet of plastic was heated using a hot air blower. When the surface of the plastic was soft enough, the sheet was pressed evenly into the opening in the mould using the balsa model. The stoppers on the sides of the balsa model prevented the model from pressing the sheet of plastic too deep into the mould.


Photo: Jorma Laakso.

It took about one minute for the plastic sheet to cool down, then the balsa model was removed. A bulge had formed under the mould, shaped like the balsa model. This was the rough form of the canopy. The GAG-PET sheet was removed from the mould and the bulge, i.e. the preformed canopy was cut off.


Photos: Jorma Laakso & Lassi Karivalo.

Now the metal frames (at rear end and lower sides of the canopy) and the windscreen arc could be attached to the canopy. The canopy was placed on the balsa model where the red markings showed the exact place of the frame. When the metal strips had been placed exactly on the marked lines, they were glued in place using UHU POR contact glue. Now the extra plastic material below the frame could be cut off. When the canopy was placed on top of the cockpit to test how it fitted, the result looked good. UHU POR contact glue was used to glue the windscreen arc to the canopy. Then the canopy frame and the windscreen arc were painted dark green.


The last phase of work was to attach the new canopy on the Gnat model. The canopy was placed on the edges of the cockpit and attached with Plastic Padding. When the seam had dried it was honed smooth and painted dark green. The Folland Gnat F.1 model had a new canopy and is now ready to be placed on display in the Hawk Experience Center.

Photos: Unless separately mentioned, Lassi Karivalo.

Kommentoi kirjoitusta. Avainsanat: aviation history, Tuesday Club, restoration, Folland Gnat, aircraft model

Hawk model to Hawk Experience Center

Keskiviikko 21.3.2018 - Member of Tuesday Club


A wooden model of BAE Systems Hawk Mk 51 jet trainer was found in the storage room of the Finnish Aviation Museum. The partly damaged model is approximately 50 cm long and it represents HW-310 which was in use in the Finnish Air Force. HW-310 belongs to the series of Hawks which were assembled by the Valmet Aviation Industries between 1980 and 1985. The real HW-310 has been withdrawn from use and stored. The State of Finland will donate it to an aviation museum in Switzwerland (Clin d'Ailes - Musée de l'aviation militaire de Payerne) and where it will probably be transported already this spring.


The museum has no information about the builder of the HW-310 model. Originally the model has been attached by its landing gear on a white plywood board which has been hanging on the wall. So the model has been a wall decoration.


The model is very well made and its proportions match the original aircraft. The cockpit has seats and its main equipment – also made of wood. The instruments on the panel have been painted, decals haven’t been used. The model has been painted according to the old camouflage scheme (black/green/grey) used in the 1980s, which suggests that the model was probably made about twenty years ago. Today the planes are painted all grey with small national insignia.


Photo: Jorma Laakso.

When the Hawk model was found, the idea of bringing it on display in the Hawk Experience Center of the Aviation Museum Society was brought up. The center has on display the cockpit section of HW-314, which belonged to the same Hawk production series as the real HW-310. The model of HW-310 could be used to illustrate what a whole Hawk looks like. There is an existing showcase where the HW-310 could be on display. An additional advantage is that the HW-310 has a similar black/green/grey camouflage scheme as the HW-314 in the Experience Center.


The Finnish Aviation Museum decided to donate the HW-310 model to the Hawk Experience Center and the Tuesday Club set out to work. The model was moved from the storage to the club workshop. The model had some damages: the nose landing gear was broken, one of the horizontal elevators was loose, the seam of the vertical elevator and the fuselage was broken and the cockpit canopy was loose and slightly broken.


Fortunately the damage wasn’t serious and repairing wasn’t difficult. The right side horizontal elevator was glued into place, the seam between the vertical stabilizer and fuselage was re-glued and painted. The split wheel on the nose landing gear was repaired. The canopy of the cockpit didn’t quite settle in its place and some modifications were needed on the canopy and the rear seat in order to have the canopy in the correct position.


As the model had originally been hanging on the wall, it hadn’t been balanced to be standing on its landing gear. When placed on a horizontal surface the rear-weighted plane’s tail is pointed downward. Therefore an additional support has to be added under the rear fuselage when the model is in its showcase.

The Tuesday Club team discussed whether the HW-310 identification marking should be changed to match the identification of HW-314 in the Experience Center. The decision was negative. It would have been difficult to modify the last number of the identification marking from a four to a zero so that the change couldn’t be noticed on the original paint. So the original appearance of the model was respected and no changes were made.


The HW-310 model is made of solid wood and is very robust but it still needs a good storage and transportation box. A new box was made from plywood and wooden battens. The box has a hinged lid and it was painted with clear varnish. The box and the lid have supporting pads which were cut to measure and support the weight of the model during storage and transport.


The Hawk model and its box are ready. The model was placed in the existing showcase to see how it fits there. And it looks great!


Fine, isn't it?


Now HW-310 is waiting for the summer exhibition round of the Hawk Experience Center to begin. The first event is already in the horizon: The “Military Aviation as a Profession” –event will be arranged by Satakunta Air Command in Pirkkala, Tampere on May 15th.

Photos (unless otherwise individually mentioned): Lassi Karivalo.

Kommentoi kirjoitusta. Avainsanat: BAe Hawk, model, Hawk Experience Center, restoration, Tuesday Club

Vihuri cockpit on final phase

Sunnuntai 4.3.2018 - Member of Tuesday Club


The cockpit of VL Vihuri (VH-25) will soon be placed on display at the Finnish Aviation Museum. The last phase in the cockpit restoration work includes the side coverings. The sides are covered with aluminium plate and plexiglass so that the museum visitor is able to have a view inside the cockpit and see all the equipment there.


While the covering of the sides has been going on, the last of the cockpit equipment have been installed. The Tuesday Club was able to get hold of a machine gun camera control unit which has been in a Vihuri. The only problem was that the unit didn’t have the bracket which is needed to attach it to the instrument panel on the left side of the front cockpit. There was no information available about the original bracket. Therefore the bracket was designed by the Tuesday Club and built using aluminium. The bracket has now been made and the control unit is ready to be installed.


The cockpit and display lighting was completed before Christmas. The finalisation and installation of the lighting control unit was left to be done later. A container was made from aluminium plate to house the lighting control unit. The whole package was installed on the supporting frame under the front cockpit. The lighting control unit was placed behind the cockpit side covers, hidden from view and also protected from possible vandalism.


The covering of the lower parts of the cockpit sides using 1.5 mm aluminium plate has been completed. The aluminium plates cover half of the cockpit sides. The plates were attached at their lower edge to the supporting structure’s hem under the cockpit. The upper edge of the plates was attached to the covering panel which runs along the side of the cockpit. The upper sides of the cockpit will be covered using transparent plexiglass. The plexi installation has already been started.

Photos: Lassi Karivalo

Kommentoi kirjoitusta. Avainsanat: aviation history, Tuesday Club, museum aircraft, Valmet Vihuri, VH-25

Lights installed in Vihuri (VH-25) cockpit

Keskiviikko 20.12.2017 - Member of Tuesday Club


The last phases in the restoration work of the Valmet Vihuri II (VH-25) cockpit included the installation of the cockpit lights, the instrument board background lights, the light of the sight and the display lights when the cockpit is in the museum. Finally the sides of the cockpit will be covered with aluminum plate and plexiglass.

Originally the Vihuri had a 24V direct current electrical system. The positive pole of the system was insulated from the fuselage of the plane and the negative pole was connected to the fuselage. However, in the restoration of the Vihuri cockpit a 12 V alternating current system was chosen. In this system both poles of the system are insulated from the fuselage. The mains voltage (240 V AC) is transformed into a low voltage (12 V) and rectified to direct current. This power supply (12 V DC) is connected to the Vihuri lighting control panel, which supplies power to each lighting fixture.

The front and rear cockpits of the Vihuri has small red lights on both sides of the cockpit. The light is tinted red in order to disturb the pilots’ night vision as little as possible when flying in dusk or in darkness. The amount and direction of light can be adjusted simply by turning the shade around the glass of the lighting fixture.


Three original cockpit lights were available and could be installed into the VH-25 cockpits, but the fourth lighting fixture was missing and had to be made. Fortunately the base of the fourth light was found. The body, the glass and the turning shade of the lighting fixture had to be made to resemble the original ones. The body was made of aluminum, the “glass” was cut from red plastic and the cover was made from aluminum plate.


When the fourth cockpit lighting fixture was ready, all four lights were installed in the cockpit by attaching them to the original fasteners in the upper parts of both cockpits. The original incandescent lamps were replaced by led lamps. Leds were chosen because the cockpit lights are always on when the VH-25 cockpit is on display in the museum and the heat emitting incandescent lamps wouldn’t be a good solution. Installing the led lamps into the original lighting fixtures wasn’t a problem because the leds have the same type of socket (BA 15d) as the original incandescent lamps.


The original power cables of the four cockpit lights in the Vihuri are protected by transparent plastic tubes. A similar installation was chosen in the restoration work, but using similar thin silicon tube. In the original installation there were two cables (positive and negative) from each lighting fixture installed into the plastic tube and the negative cable was connected to the fuselage. The cabling was changed so that both cables are inside the tube and they connect the lighting fixtures to the lighting control panel. The red lights were turned on when the power was connected.


Three background lights were installed behind each instrument board. Unfortunately there were no original background lights available and all of them had to be made. Fortunately the instrument boards still had the clips for the lighting fixtures so that the size and shape of the lighting fixture could be estimated.


The tube-shaped bodies of the lighting fixtures were lathed from plastic. A cable was pulled through the body and the wires were attached to the base of the fixture. Led lamps with G4 caps were attached to the base. When power was supplied to the cables, the background lights illuminated the instrument boards.


The cabling was made by using one cable from the lighting control panel to each instrument panel. According to the drawings of the original installation, the wiring was branched at the instrument panel to supply each of the three lighting fixtures. The light of the sight was installed in a similar way.


In the Vihuri the background lights of the instrument boards and the sight light had originally armored cables. The armor, i.e. the braided metal covering of the cables, was meant to protect the power supply from disturbing external signals. However, the armored cable used in the restoration work of the instrument panel lights had three cables whereas the original one had only two. Therefore the three-wire cable was pulled out of the armor and replaced by the two wires leading to the instrument board lights. At the same time the armor was stretched in order to make it thinner, resembling the original one used in the Vihuri.


The Vihuri cockpit will be on display in the Finnish Aviation Museum. The red lights in the cockpits, the instrument board lights and the sight light were adequate for the pilots but they won’t be able to illuminate the cockpit enough for the museum visitors. Therefore four 30 cm long led tubes were installed as display lighting. The leds were attached to the upper edges of both cockpits, trying to install them as unnoticed as possible. Depending on the position of the cockpit in the museum, the lights will be controlled so that the leds are on only on the side where the viewer is standing. In this way the lights on the opposite side will not produce disturbing glare.


Now the cockpit lights in the Vihuri as well as the instrument board background lights, sight light and the display lighting were working. The last phase was to organize the various cables from the lighting fixtures to the lighting control panel into a tight group. This was done by attaching the cables to the cockpit frame tubes by using original clips and new clips made to match the original ones.

Kommentoi kirjoitusta. Avainsanat: aviation history, Tuesday Club, museum aircraft, Valmet Vihuri, VH-25

Museum plane surfaces were cleaned in Finnish Aviation Museum

Lauantai 14.10.2017 - Member of Tuesday Club


A common problem in aviation museums is that the planes on display are covered with dust. The Finnish Aviation Museum makes no exception. The planes hanging from the ceiling as well as the ones on floor level were in need of cleaning. One of the reasons for this is that the museum doesn’t have the staff to keep the plane surfaces clean.


The Tuesday Club members of the Aviation Museum Society decided to lend a helping hand and arranged two events in the halls I and II in the Finnish Aviation Museum to clean the planes standing on floor level. The work had to be limited to what could be done without a man lift and without building any scaffolding.


The surfaces of the planes were vacuumed, wiped using a damp cloth and dried. The wiping cloths were rinsed in plain water. Cleaning chemicals were not used to avoid possible harmful effects. A half-tall A-ladder was needed to reach the surfaces that were higher up, such as the upper surfaces of fuselages and wings. Tall A-ladders could not be used for safety reasons.


The plane surfaces where partly covered with a thick layer of dust and the cleaning rags had to be frequently rinsed in water. The water in the bucket soon turned nearly black and had to be changed. Also the cleaning rags became quickly too dirty to use and had to be thrown away and replaced by clean ones. Judging by the amount of water and rags used, the majority of the dust and dirt was definitely wiped off and rinsed into the Vantaa city sewer system.


After the work of several hours nearly thirty planes had been cleaned and are now tidy and clean for the museum visitors to see. Unfortunately this doesn’t apply to all of the planes in the museum, including the Convair Metropolitan, the DC-3 or the Lockheed Lodestar – not to mention all the planes hanging from the ceiling of the museum halls. A man lift or large-scale scaffolding would be needed to clean the surfaces so high up in the display area. Using a man lift would be the most appropriate arrangement but the museum doesn’t have one.

Although man lifts are not cheap to purchase or to rent, we hope that the Aviation Museum could invest in one so that all the large planes and the hanging ones could be kept clean and tidy – as the old planes deserve. Or maybe a supporter of the Aviation Museum could donate a new or a second-hand man lift to the museum?

Kommentoi kirjoitusta. Avainsanat: aviation history, Tuesday Club, museum aircraft

A carpenter always comes handy...

Sunnuntai 9.4.2017 - Member of Tuesday Club


The Tuesday Club is known for its conservation and restoration work of museum aircraft. But when needed, its members are also active doing other things. Lately, one such “other thing” has been the Hawk Experience Centre of the Aviation Museum Society.  This movable “mini-museum”, including the cockpit section of a BAe Hawk Mk.51 has been a frequent crowd-raiser at numerous air-shows and exhibitions. In a short time thousands of boys, girls, women and men have experienced their first “cold type” flight in an aircraft still in wide use in air-forces around the world.

But the Hawk Experience Centre is much more than just taking a “flight” in a cockpit-section. At the centre information about the Aviation Museum Society (Finland) and about the activities of all Finnish Aviation Museums is given to a waste number of individuals who might not otherwise get this information. At the Hawk Experience Centre the visitors can also buy article put on sale by the Aviation Museum Society and the different aviation museums. The more the public knows about what the Finnish Aviation Museums are doing and keeping available for their visitors the more likely they are to pay them a visit. Increasing the number of visitors is an important enabler for the continuous development of the activities of the aviation museums.


The available activities and the equipment of the Hawk Experience Centre are continually refined to provide the visitors a still better experience. This is where the Tuesday Club enters the picture. Its most recent work was the making of the “safe storage/transportation” boxes for the centres three big displays to replace the original cardboard-boxes that were falling apparat.


Based on measurements of the old cardboard-boxes plans for improved wooden ones were made and drawn. The new boxes are made of two main parts, the bottom one and the top on that can be slid over the bottom one. In this way putting the display into the box and removing it from there was made much easier as you do not have to reach so deeply into the boxes to move the displays. The boxes were made of 6 mm softwood-plywood and pine-laths with the bottom made of 18 mm weatherproofed plywood. The boxes were dimensioned to allow using the original EPS shock-absorbing units in the new boxes.


So, off we went to get the plywood and laths. Once we had them in the workshop it was time to cut them to measure and assemble the parts into boxes gluing together the plywood parts and pine-laths. To be safe and not sorry, the joints were strengthened by stapling using a pneumatic stapler.


Wooden handles were fitted to the ends of the boxes. Support-laths, that also function as fenders when the boxes are stored close together were fitted to the top-and bottom of the long sides of bottom part of the boxes.


With the carpentry done it was time for some finishing touches including painting the boxes. The decision was made to paint the boxes in neutral grey. The grounding was done using white Ferrex-paint and the finishing was done using semi-gloss Futura furnishing-paint. When the paint had dried latches were put in place to keep the top and bottom parts connected.


Even though the boxes were made as “series production” we applied the pre-WWII Rolls Royce quality principles. Thus the top and bottom part of each box ended up not being interchangeable but being pair-specific. To ensure smooth use of the boxes the individual pairs (top/bottom) were marked with paired, one, two and three, dots.


This done, we could insert the EPS shock absorbing material from the old cardboard-boxes into our new wooden ones and then take the new boxes from the restauration shop to the Hawk Experience Centre in the yard of the Finnish Aviation Museum.


There the displays were put into the new boxes, one after another to await their next use at the Hawk Experience Centre at some yet to be held fair or aviation show.

But the experience-centre is much more than just taking a “flight” in a cockpit-section. At the centre information about the Aviation Museum Society (Finland) and about the activities of all Finnish Aviation Museums is given to a waste number of individuals who might not otherwise get this information. At the Hawk experience-centre the visitors can also buy article put on sale by the Aviation Museum Society and the different aviation museums. The more the public knows about what the Finnish Aviation Museums are doing and keeping available for their visitors the more likely they are to pay them a visit. Increasing the number of visitors is an important enabler for the continuous development of the activities of the aviation museums.

Kommentoi kirjoitusta. Avainsanat: Hawk Experience Centre, info monitor, storage box, the Tuesday Club